The Business of Specialty Pharmacy
Over the next few years, revenues in the pharmaceutical industry will shift from traditional brand-name drugs to specialty drugs. By 2020, specialty drugs are projected to account for almost 50% of the industry’s revenues.
This module covers many important commercial topics related to this fast-growing part of the pharmaceutical industry, including: insurance coverage, pharmacy channels, manufacturer channel strategies, and more.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify common characteristics of specialty medications
- Distinguish between the medical benefit coverage and pharmacy benefit coverage of specialty medications
- Identify key participants in the specialty pharmacy market
- Explain the services specialty pharmacies provide to patients, manufacturers, and payers
- Describe the pharmacy network strategies that manufacturers and health plans use
- Explain the services that specialty hubs provide to patients, manufacturers, and providers
- Describe specialty pharmacy providers’ reimbursement and fees